The struggle is real

Okay, I am seeing a lot more people in my life get married because they feel like they have to. This isn't about anyone in particular, so before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, let me just specify that I really don't give a shit if you do.

If I based my opinion on just one person's life, I'd be a shit talker. I analyze statistical data as well as pay attention to everyone around me and so far I have encountered several women and men alike, who are marrying or married because they feel like that's what's left to do.
..Uhm, left to do? I'm assuming they have skydived, gotten tattoos, traveled the world, helped the homeless, did community service, opened their own business, bought new cars, gotten out of debt, backpacked through Europe, moved out of mommy's house and established themselves. I'm assuming..
Oh wait, you've done none of those things? You've only partied and slept around? Oh, I apologize. You're ready!

Listen up ladies and gents. The only thing you HAVE to do in life is die. That is inevitable. No matter what you do, that will happen. The rest is your choice, It is totally up to you how your life is lived. You don't have to work, you don't have to drink, you don't have to drive, get married, have babies, party..whatever. You don't have to. The difference is IF YOU WANT TO! 

I want to get shitfaced every weekend, so I do. I want to get from point A to point B without sweating balls, so I drive. I want to have my own place and be independent so that's why I work and live apart from my mommy. I want my own freedom and I want to be selfish, so I don't get married and have kids yet until I am ready. See? There is a huge difference between a want and a need. 

Also, side note. Why are some of you counting your age? Is there an expiration date on marrying? If so, I'm royally fucked sideways.

So therefore, YOLO!
You Only Live Once! Stop letting parents, friends or enemies decide your life for you. They aren't the ones who have to deal with your whiny husband or bitchy wife for the rest of their life. You are! So fuck what anyone else thinks and do what makes you happy!



post signature

8 comments:

  1. Amen sista! I got married because umm well I love the dude I'm with. If I did what everyone else told me to do, I'd be celebrating my 4th year wedding anni by now and have three kids. SIGH. It's so sad when people do things just because they think they should or because someone else has an opinion. Live your life because well. YOLO. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, personally, have nothing against marriage or kids but only for the right reasons. Marrying for money, for "settling down because you're a certain age", for anything else other than love to me isn't marriage; it's a business arrangement and both parties should have full disclosure of why they're getting married then. It's sad when people feel like they have to conform to fit in, to belong, to be the same when the beauty of our world is in our differences. Ugh anyway..bla bla..everyone is getting married..I'm 28 and drunk! :)

      Delete
  2. Well said. I saw everyone getting married right out of college and thought that was going to be me, but my college bf broke up with me. Thank goodness, because i would have been stuck where I didn't want to be. There were three girls I knew that got married to their college bfs and they are all divorced and married to someone else, now. Not saying young people can't be married, but sometimes people know before they walk down the aisle that it's wrong.

    People are so ridiculous with their timelines and i need to be married by X date...why, just why? I'm happily married, of a just a year, and I dated my husband for 3+ years because I wanted to be sure. People were telling me, why are you waiting and I thought, what's the rush?

    Now I'm on the 'why don't you have kids' train and i'm like ummm i like to drink, sleep and buy shoes....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't understand, in general, people without a backbone to stand up for themselves and do what the hell they want to do.
      Haha "I love to drink, sleep and buy shoes"..My kinda girl!!!

      Delete
  3. Love this!!! I definitely have noticed a lot of people doing a lot of things because they think they need to. I know I was starting to feel that pressure with my ex but thankfully he is now my ex and with that I realized I have plenty of time to do whatever the hell I please until I don't please anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right! Amen sister. I'm glad you didn't take the plunge just to "do it" and then regret it months or years later.

      Delete
  4. SUPPORT.

    i don't think anyone should do anything - let alone make a huge commitment - that you don't want to or just because "it's time". when i saw friends getting married right out of high school or after being together for eleventy billion years because "it's been long enough and it was time", i think "but you haven't even experienced anything!". but whatever works for them; who am i to judge, right?

    i even know bitches who got pregnant not because they wanted to but because their friends were preggo and they wanted to be 'part of the group'. wtf, is that even a thing?!

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? Is that a thing? Ugh, I'm happy to be out of the loop of the "in thing" with the whole marriage and kids business. I do what I want, when I want, while I want it and then when I've done everything I've wanted to do, I'll consider "taming" myself. Or, just run wild like hell until I meet someone who can keep up with me. :)

      Delete

I want to read what you think. Do not be ashamed to leave me comments; good or bad. I will respond to you!

Second chances

Well hello there! I have been in a more creative mood lately and wish my ADHD would allow me to sit down and write them out. I have been jou...